What is a College?
A 'College of Paramedics' is not an educational facility but rather would be the self-regulatory governing body for registered paramedics in Ontario.
Self-regulation is a privilege granted to those professions that have shown they can put the interests of the public ahead of their own professional interests. It recognizes that health professionals have specialized knowledge and expertise. These health professionals regulate themselves as individual practitioners and their profession through their respective College.
A College fulfills its role by:
- establishing requirements for entry to practice
- developing, promoting and enforcing practice standards, competency requirements and professional conduct
- administering Quality Assurance and continuing education programs
- promoting and enhancing relations between the College and its members, other health profession colleges, key stakeholders, and the public
A College also supports the regulation of the health profession in the public interest by:
- participating in the legislative process
- sharing statistical information about the profession
A college is directed by a council or board of directors, consisting of professionals (elected by their peers), as well as members of the public (appointed by the Lieutenant Governor of Ontario).
In order to perform its duties, a College is required to have the following committees which are composed of a combination of registered practitioners from the health profession and the public:
- Executive Committee
- Registration Committee
- Inquiries, Complaints and Reports Committee
- Discipline Committee
- Fitness to Practice Committee
- Quality Assurance Committee
- Patient Relations Committee
Together the Council and the Committees work to protect the public interest and to ensure that those who use the protected titles (doctor, nurse, massage therapist, pharmacist, etc) of their respective health care professions are in fact, competent, qualified and registered to practice in the province of Ontario.
Are paramedics in other provinces self-regulated?
Yes. Currently, paramedics in Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Nova Scotia and New Brunswick are self-regulated.